perjantai 14. lokakuuta 2011

Life is getting lighter

It’s been time since I posted something on this blog, call it a combination of “lack of inspiration” and too “busy at work”. But now I feel like sharing some thoughts since our D-Day is closing in.


A couple of weeks ago I handed in my work resignation, and as I’m writing this, I’m looking over an ocean of moving-boxes, book piles, clothing piles, sport equipment, you name it. I have no idea where I will be living, or working when I’m coming back from Nepal. It feels quite awesome not worrying about “earthly things” right now, because in less than a month the biggest adventure of my life (so far) is about to start.


The magnitude of Kapua and the impact that it will have on my life is slowly starting to get to me. A couple of days ago I had a “vaccine-orgy” for 250€, money well spent to become a Superhuman. However, I think I’m going to skip the malaria tablets. Apparently “some side effects” can occur e.g.: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches, insomnia, fatigue or weakness, fever, light-headedness, strange dreams and muscle aches. Hmm, I’ll rather take my chances and smack every mosquito I’ll encounter…


People have said to me many times that Kapua is a great initiative, and that they really envy what I’m doing and would also love to take time off to go on a similar adventure. But when I ask them why they don’t go on an adventure, or apply for Kapua next year, I always get the same answer: “Well, I don’t have the time” or “I don’t have the money right now”.

Well, here come some groundbreaking news; there will never be a perfect moment. Also, in fact, you do have the time and money to do what you want. It’s your life and it just depends on how you want to invest your time and money.


In a blog article, written in HBR-blog, Umair Haque said that “the "best" investment you can make isn't gold. It's the people you love, the dreams you have, and living a life that matters”. I could not agree more. What do you think would happen if everybody would invest in making each other happy and showing compassion to fellow human beings? Maybe I am just young and naive who wants to change the world. But the outcome is that it makes me and many others happy. Do you remember the feeling when you graduated from high school and felt that “here we come to save the world”? Why do people have to become so serious, some might even say, boring when they grow up?

Anyway, I recognize this blogpost is getting out of hand and perhaps too philosophical, so I will get back to you after I´ve had time to meditate over these issues the coming months…


Goodbye Stockholm, hello reality.

-Johannes


1 kommentti:

  1. Great thinking Johannes, could not agree more (and love the philosophy)! And there are some older and naive ones too as you know :-D :-D. GO and conquest the world with all the humanity! Showing the way is the best example for people. Let's do it !
    Hugs,
    Erja
    Charity Climber Malawi 2010

    VastaaPoista